The star drink of the summer, rosé is perfect for aperitifs with friends, barbecue evenings, or for a moment of relaxation by the pool. And to vary the pleasures, the swimming pool rosé or the grapefruit rosé are very successful. But have you ever heard of Frozé , or Frozen rosé ? Discover this frosty cocktail made with strawberries and rosé wine .
Frozé, a rosé wine granita to refresh you all summer long
Recently appearing during summer aperitifs, Frozé is a frosty cocktail that is very popular on hot summer days.
The origins of Frozé
For several years now, variations of the traditional glass of rosé wine have been appearing, with varying degrees of success. Among the different recipes, Frozé (contraction of “frozen” and “rosé”) is a clever blend straight from the United States.
It was in the Primi bar that its creator, Justin Sievers, had the idea of creating a cocktail based on rosé and strawberry , served like a granita. Consumed today in the trendiest bars in the world, Frozé is being emulated in France.
The reasons for the success of Frozé
If Frozé, or Frosé, is so popular, it is because it represents an elegant and effective way to quench your thirst in hot weather. Refreshing and fresh, this summer cocktail is also available in numerous versions: with a fruity syrup, a red fruit puree, fruit cream... With the Frozé, all gourmet variations are permitted.
The Frozé recipe
But then, what really contains this rosé wine cocktail ? Here is the recipe for Frozé , for 4 people. To make it, you will need:
- 750 ml of rosé wine;
- 100ml of water;
- 100 g of powdered sugar;
- 250 g of cut strawberries;
- The juice of one and a half lemons.
Then, the preparation of Frozé is done in 6 simple steps:
- Pour the rosé wine into a gratin dish, and place it in the freezer for 6 hours, so that the liquid solidifies;
- Meanwhile, heat the water and sugar in a saucepan, stirring continuously, until the sugar is completely melted. Remove from heat, add the strawberries, and let infuse for 30 minutes;
- Filter the syrup without crushing the fruit, cover and keep refrigerated for 30 minutes;
- Put the frozen rosé, lemon juice, strawberry syrup and a few ice cubes in a blender. Blend until you obtain a very smooth puree;
- Let cool for 30 minutes in the refrigerator;
- Blend again in the blender and serve.
The Frozé can then be enjoyed without delay, and you can freely add the ingredients of your choice.
Frozé: which rosé wine to choose?
To make a successful Frozé , the choice of rosé wine is essential. Although it is not necessary, or even not recommended, to use a grand cru to make this frozen cocktail, it is still advisable to choose a quality rosé .
For a gourmet cocktail, it is then interesting to opt for a simple and fruity rosé wine , with a pretty dark color, so that your granita retains a beautiful color.
To help you prepare a delicious Frozen Rosé , here is a selection of rosé wines from Provence :
- Ultimate Provence – AOP Côtes de Provence rosé : made from Cinsault, Syrah, Rolle and Grenache, this rosé wine from Provence reveals all the richness of the terroir, through rosés with intense aromas of exotic fruits and floral notes. Its freshness and modernity make it a wine of choice for all your Frozé recipes ;
- The Émotion cuvée from Château de Berne – IGP Méditerranée rosé: an ode to Provence in all its most traditional aspects, the Émotion cuvée is the ideal companion for all your summer aperitifs. Fruity and fresh, it offers aromas of brugnon, for a perfect marriage with the strawberries of your Frozé;
- The Romance cuvée from Domaine de Berne – IGP Méditerranée: like the Provençal terroir, the grapes from the Romance cuvée soak up the sun to give their rosé wine fresh and refreshing aromas of peach and apricot. Very balanced and to be drunk very chilled, the Romance vintage is a definite asset for a successful Frozé .
How to serve Frozé?
Full of deliciousness and freshness, Frozé can perfectly stand on its own. But during a convivial aperitif, or on a summer afternoon, it is always pleasant to accompany it with a few delicacies.
As with a classic food and wine pairing , we recommend that you choose recipes with which the wine and food pairing will be balanced. You can then easily turn to dishes that tolerate the cold well. Raw vegetables and fresh fruits are then a safe bet: watermelon, melon, cucumber... Don't hesitate to combine Frozé with fresh fruits and vegetables, for an aperitif that is both delicious and healthy. It's up to you to imagine if you want to enjoy them as they are, or if you prefer to accompany them with light, even subtly sweet, sauces.
On the other hand, it is not recommended to serve a Frozé with dishes of character, such as cold meats or cheese. The ice in your drink could inhibit the flavors of these generous dishes. Conversely, the strong taste of these foods could well take over your Frozé.
Do you like wine-based cocktails ? Discover the Frozé , this frozen cocktail composed of rosé and strawberry, and vary it at will with the ingredients of your choice. The rosés of Provence are then your allies in imagining recipes that will make you salivate.